Small Space Design Considerations
1. Consider the type of space
- How much space is there?
- How do you want to use the space?
- What garden theme excites you?
2. What level of maintenance will be provided?
3. Will furniture be included?
- What type of furniture and how much space will it require?
4. What type of primary surface is desired?
- Mostly planted
- Space for containers only
5. How is or how will the space be enclosed?
6. What are the environmental conditions?
- Mostly wet
- Very dry
7. Is there a need to create some shade?
8. What type of plants choices are there for this environment?
9. Irrigation needs and options
1. Each individual plant should have a long season of interest
2. Be sure to use plants with contrasting textures
3. Use varying heights (this also goes for container gardens)
Perennials for Foliage:
- Ornamental Grasses
- Stachys byzantina
- Summer Tropicals
- Azalea ‘Gumpo’
- Ilex ‘Soft Touch’
- Laurus nobilis
- Prunus laurocerasus ‘Nana’
- Taxus baccata
- Dwarf conifers
- Acer griseum
- Acer japonicum
- Amelanchier lamarckii (Serviceberry)
- Cercis canadensis ‘Forest Pansy’
- Magnolia stellata (Star)
- Malus ‘Profusion’
- Malus sargentii
- Prunus serrula
- Prunus subhirtella ‘Autumnalis’